Opportunities: Community Engagement Coordinator Job Description
About the Community Engagement Coordinator Position
The community engagement coordinator will first and foremost uphold the KDO mission and values, using those tenets to build community awareness and advocacy. The position will be guided by the KDO community engagement strategy and work to embed and anchor into existing communities and research new areas to serve, always with the idea of furthering KDO’s mission and creating equitable access at the forefront. The position will support the efforts to build strong, long-lasting relationships with partner schools, community entities, local businesses, advocacy groups, and supporters. This person will play a role in the creation and execution of KDO Community Days as a vehicle to showcase the unique and impactful programming that KDO offers, as well as bringing communities and neighbors together. The role will require someone with a passion for serving others, interacting with a diverse population, and working towards diversity, inclusion, and equity in all aspects of their work on behalf of KDO.
Hours: 30-hour work week to include some nights and weekends. Flexibility to define the timeframe of those 30 hours per week.
Anticipated start date: August 1, 2021
Roles & Responsibilities
- Research and identify schools, community entities, businesses, and advocacy groups that would be a good fit for a partnership with KDO. Be the first point of contact for new school and community relationships.
- Maintain a calendar of school and community events. Attend selected events (school board meetings, back to school nights, community and advocacy group meetings) to bring awareness and foster advocacy for KDO.
- Maintain contact records to track communications and follow up with existing and potential schools, organizations, and businesses.
- Contribute to social media efforts as they relate to community engagement functions.
- Play a role in the event coordination of KDO Community Days, to include site location research, engagement of participating members & volunteers, marketing efforts, pre-planning and day-of logistics, and participant follow up.
- Participate in professional development and training opportunities provided by KDO.
- Bachelor’s degree or 2 years experience working or volunteering with a non-profit organization, with a focus on community engagement, fundraising, or development.
- High level of interest in upholding KDO’s mission and values, furthering access and equity, as well as themes of diversity and inclusion.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
with team members.
- Abie to manage multiple priorities, organize own work, meet deadlines, and demonstrate exceptional follow through.
- Adaptability in an ever-changing environment, resilience and persistence, problem-solving, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Experience working in Google Drive, Zoom, and social media platforms.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to speak in front of groups about the KDO mission.
- Able to drive a personal car to schools and community meetings and events for work purposes.
- Experience in fundraising and development, a plus.
- Knowledge of the Indianapolis geography, neighborhoods, and communities, a plus.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Community Engagement Position – ”. Position will remain open until filled.