In partnership with Indianapolis public and charter schools, KDO provides high-quality, joyful, innovative dance programs during school time. Partnership design can vary from one-time introductory workshops to semester and year-long sequential programs. All children in the designated grade participate at no cost to them or their families.
Utilizing unique pedagogical techniques, KDO master teaching artists and professional musicians engage children in a dance class like no other. “What style of dance does KDO teach?” KDO’s movement vocabulary is not based on one specific style but focuses on providing a high-energy, engaging, inspiring, and accessible dance class where all children can succeed! At times various themes and other curricular content can drive choreography that celebrates and is influenced by specific techniques – honoring diversity and culture while remaining accessible to all. The KDO curriculum uses unique movement vocabulary accessible to all, promoting structure, discipline, focus, empathy, and self-confidence. This, in turn, boosts the students’ ability to learn and perform with success while fostering acceptance and celebration of diversity.
In addition to accommodating families who are often financially burdened and without transportation, during- school-time KDO programs ensure inclusiveness and reinforce the arts’ tremendous importance as an integral part of a child’s education, rather than a “nonessential add on” available only to those who have access.
How does the KDO In-School Program work?
- KDO works with individual schools to define and meet their unique needs.
- In collaboration, KDO and schools design the programming that best fits their community.
- Programming can be designed as a one-time introductory workshop or sequential programming -semester or year-long weekly programming.
- KDO works with ALL children in a grade level, divided by class – grades 2nd through 5th.
- A KDO team of teaching artists and musicians will visit the school to lead each class in a dedicated space.
- Classroom teachers are expected to be actively engaged in supporting the program.
- KDO semester and year-long sequential programs end in a final showcase performance, open to families and the school community and held on-site.
Interested in becoming a KDO Partner School? Contact Mónica M. Muñoz at email@example.com to learn more.